Greek Cruising Tax – CA News

Greek Tax (TPP); Relaxation of Port Police Procedures (as at 30 June 2014)


Keep up to date on the Cruising Association site Click here.

A new Greek Tax, often referred to as TPP, will be collected once procedures are fully defined. This should take place some time in 2014. When it is introduced, there will be a transition period during which no penalties will apply. File attachments at the bottom of this page give full details of the TPP, and some clarifications given to the Cruising Association by the responsible Greek Ministry .

Meanwhile, a further law (4256) came into effect on 14 April 2014. This law describes revised Port Police procedures introducing a considerable relaxation of formalities for cruising boats, and some changes to insurance certificate requirements.

Port Police (PP, more correctly called “Hellenic Coast Guard”) throughout Greece have been told of the new procedures, but in June some were still ignoring instructions and clinging to old procedures (visits every 30 days). Most simplifications to regulations we have suggested have been implemented. So far, the following is clear:

  1. All EU boats over 7m LOA cruising in Greece will have to have a DEKPA (These are the Greek initials for a “Cruising Bulletin” or “Private Pleasure Boat Maritime Traffic Document”). The  DEKPA remains permanently valid for that boat. If an EU boat arriving in Greek waters doesn’t already have a DEKPA, a new one will be issued for a fee (about €30). Non-EU boats will be issued a Transit Log instead of a DEKPA.
  2. Once TPP is in force, the DEKPA/Tranist Log will be used to register the boat, and record payments of TPP, using an on-line central registry.
  3. While the boat stays in Greece, the DEKPA has to be presented to PP once a year.
  4. For Schengen immigration control, boats should carry an up to date crew list with passport or ID numbers, to be shown on request. There is no need to have this authenticated.
  5. PP permission is no longer needed (a) when arriving in each harbour (b) to haul out (c) to re-launch (d) to leave harbour (e) to change crew lists
  6. To fish from a boat, licences are no longer required
  7. The port police should otherwise only be contacted if there is accident or injury at sea.
  8. Port police have the right to visit the boat for the purpose of ensuring dues are paid
  9. Certificates of insurance must be carried, and must show (revised) limits covered (see below)
  10. Non-EU boats no longer need to pay 3 monthly cruising fees (Art 39 of Law 4256)

Local fees for electricity, water, and pick-up lines, and daily port fees may be payable.

New arrivals in Greece from outside Schengen no longer have to use a port of entry, but must notify PP and provide two copies of. Effectively this means entering at a PP manned port. The Greek ministry confirms that it is not necessary to use an agent when checking in, whatever local sources may say.

For a variety of reasons, if leaving Greek waters for another country, we think it will still be prudent to check out, especially if non-EU crews exit the Schengen zone.

Insurance Certificates

Insurance certificates should cover the amounts listed below:

Ships of total tonnage smaller than 300 gt are obliged to have insurance for:

i) civil liability for bodily harm or death of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to fifty
thousand (50.000) euros per passenger and cannot be less than five hundred thousand (500.000) euros per event.

ii) civil liability for material damage of the passengers and third parties because of collision, crash, sinking or any other cause. The insurance sum is fixed to one
hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.

iii) Cause of sea pollution. The insurance sum is fixed to one hundred and fifty thousand (150.000) euros.

b. The insurance contract is drawn up in Greek or English.

The old limits (which is what most policies covered in 2013) were €300,000 for bodily injury or death, €150,000 for third-party, and €90,000 for sea pollution. If you do not have a certificate covering this year’s limits, contact your insurers to obtain a new certificate.


TPP Details

The LOA defined in your registration documents will be used in calculations, rounded up to the nearest tenth of a metre.

The aim is to introduce TPP during 2014, and the timing is uncertain. A period of transition will follow after introduction during which penalties are very unlikely.

Multiple methods for paying TPP are being arranged: on-line; through port police, tax offices and agents; and possibly through banks. Cash, credit or debit cards can be used by most collecting methods.

Boats stored ashore do not have to produce receipts for this tax – they are treated as if they were not in Greek waters. We have also asked if boats can be laid up (“put out of use”) afloat, and therefore not have to produce receipts. This may be possible if boats hand in their papers, and are moored in specified locations, such as registered marinas. The idea has been welcomed, but we wait for further news.

This tax applies to all boats, including non-EU boats, afloat in Greek ports and marinas, or anchoring or mooring in Greek waters. Once the tax is introduced, the intention is that non-EU boats will no longer pay the 3 month transit log fee.

There are no rebates for boats leaving Greek waters, whether hauling out, or by going to another country.

Boats 12.1m or More

The full rate of tax for these boats will very rarely have to be paid. For a full calendar year it is €(100 x LOA) – or €1,240 for a 12.4m boat. Two options exist to reduce this payment:

  1. Pay per month at €(10 x LOA) or €124 for 12.4m. This is recommended for boats spending less than seven months a year in the water. Seven months in the water (April to October) would then cost €868. It is not clear if it is possible to pay for 3 or 4 months ahead, or whether one payment each month will be needed.
  2. If the boat spends more than 11 months a year in Greek territory, (afloat or ashore) it pays 30% less than the full rate. That is the same as paying for 7 separate months (€868 for 12.4m) but more convenient and flexible. This may be a suitable option for full time live-aboards

Boats over 12m which try to evade paying this tax face a harsh penalty if caught – they have to pay twice the full annual rate due.

We asked if “month” can be defined as a 30 day period from payment, rather than a calendar month. This is to avoid start of month/end of month queues for launch or lift out. This is being investigated, but may not be feasible with the current  payment software and system.

Boats 12m or Less

Boats of 12m and less pay a single fee, either when they arrive in Greece, or on launching. This will permit them to cruise for the rest of that calendar year in Greek waters. There are three bands: 7.1m to 8m, €200; 8.1m to 10m, €300; and 10.1m to 12m, €400.

The Greek ministry of Maritime Affairs and Aegean is aware that this rate may discourage some <12m boats from visiting Greece.

Update 30 Jun 2014 – Taken from the Cruising Association website