Our Privacy and Cookies
We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors; this policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page to ensure you are happy with any changes and notify us if you are not happy with the changes.
We will treat your information confidentially and never pass it on to a third party for marketing purposes. The information on the boat sale will be held for 7 years in line with the accounts requirements, during this time we will not destroy the title documentation should it be required at a future date.
1 – What information do we collect:
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- Name and address.
- Contact information including email address and phone number.
- Budget details related to value of yachts and your enquiry.
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests.
- Information about your visits to and use of this website.
- Information about any transactions carried out between you and us on or in relation to this website, including information relating to any purchases you make of our goods or services.
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us and/or subscribing to our website services and/or email notifications.
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers on yachts for sale
2 – How information about you will be used:
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, to target your yachting needs whether new or brokerage. Personal information which you provide us may be used for business purposes including (but not exclusively) to:
- Keeping records of your needs and requirements related to yachting purchases/sales.
- Preparing official documents for the sale and purchase of yachts.
- To prepare enquiries and mailing that are appropriate to you.
- Where you have given us your contact details, we may periodically send promotional emails about new yachts for sale, special offers or other information which we think you may find suitable and interesting.
- To prepare applications appropriate to submit to finance companies.
- For accountancy and financial requirements during and after sale/purchase.
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
- We may share information about you to credit reference companies, finance agencies and other businesses to help make lending decisions and prevent fraud.
- If you decide to use our services we will keep your data for up to 7 years after these transactions.
- If you do not use our services and tell us you do not wish to receive further information from us we will delete your data within 2 months.
3 – Control of your information:
You can choose to restrict our use of your personal information by;
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us. Opt out or state remove on your communication.
- If asked to complete a form on our site, uncheck any box that requests you to subscribe or join a mailing list / newsletter or use your details for direct marketing purposes. This way you will not receive information from us that you do not want.
- You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held please write to us.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
4 – Information about website visits:
We may collect information about your computer and your visits to this website such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views. We may use this information in the administration of this website, to improve the website’s usability, and for marketing purposes.
A cookie is a text file sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The text file is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser. We may send a cookie which may be stored on your browser on your computer’s hard drive. We may use the information we obtain from the cookie in the administration of this website, to improve the website’s usability and for marketing purposes. We may also use that information to recognise your computer when you visit our website, and to personalise our website for you. Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. (For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking “Tools”, “Internet Options”, “Privacy”, and selecting “Block all cookies” using the sliding selector.) This will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
5 – Third party websites:
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of third party websites. Once you have used these links and leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that 3rd party website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites. These sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
6 – Other disclosures:
– To the extent that we are required to do so by law.
– In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings.
– In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to
others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk); and
– To the purchaser or seller (or prospective purchaser or seller) of any business or asset which
we are (or are contemplating) selling or purchasing.
7 – Policy amendments:
8 – Your rights:
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information may be subject to the payment of a fee. You may instruct us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal data for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of the use of your personal data for marketing purposes. You can also instruct us not to use your personal data for marketing purposes by email at any time.
9 – Security:
Williams & Smithells are committed to ensuring your personal information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and system procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect from you online and in person.
10 – Data Protection & GDPR:
Williams & Smithells Ltd have a limited and varied amount of personal information on our staff and our buying/selling clients. This privacy statement is mainly concerned with the personal information we hold; it is written to inform the individuals whose personal details we do hold. It is published to meet our legal duties in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act.
How can cookies make your surfing experience convenient?
Cookies make it easier to gather information about the web surfing history of a visitor and provide a better user experience. In this short film, you’ll see what cookies are. (only available if viewing on our website)
Our website uses 2 cookies. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we put on your computer.
- Analytical purposes – they allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the site when they’re using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example by making sure users are finding what they need easily. Read more about the individual analytical cookies we use and how to recognise them below
- Your preferences – to remember the way you like to view our website
List of 1st party cookies
name – information
- _ga – Google Analytics
- _gat – Google Analytics
- _gmb_ga_test – Google Analytics
- midas – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- s_cc – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- s_fid – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- demdex – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- de – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- DexLifeCycle – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- DST – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- NID – Adobe SiteCatalyst
- wordpress_logged_in – WordPress
- wordpress_test_cookie – WordPress
- wp-settings – WordPress
- wp-settings-time-1 – WordPress
These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of the website which helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and also allows us to improve our site.
This site uses “implied consent”. Implied consent is where by the you have visited our website, move from one page to another or clicking on a particular button. When taking this action it is accepted you are agreeing to cookies being set.
How can I control my cookies?
You can use your web browser (eg Internet Explorer) to:
- delete all cookies
- block all cookies
- allow all cookies
- block third-party cookies
- clear all cookies when you close the browser
- open a ‘private browsing’ session
- install add-ons and plug-ins to extend browser functionality
Browser – Where to find information about controlling cookies
- Internet Explorer – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
- Chrome – https://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/more/privacy.html
- Firefox – http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Clear%20Recent%20History
- Safari – http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042
- Opera – http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
Email – Reason to contact clients on a W&S database:
Please help us by – updating your records – opt out/unsubscribe
Consent – Disclaimer on emails or website coms:
We would like to send you information on our boats for sale and our services.
We will always treat your personal details with the utmost care and will never sell them to other companies for marketing.
All our initial communications include and opt out or unsubscribe option.
You can also ask for your personal information to be amended or deleted.
You might get 1-2 emails every 6 months for us.